Monday, November 12, 2007

Pan-Seared Pilsener Sirloin Tips with Herbed Pecan Orzo and Shiitake-Blue Cheese Sauce

Here is my latest preperation from "The Best of American Beer & Food":

Sirloin Tips:
  • 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin tips
  • 1 cup Pilsener (I used my Belgian-style pale ale)
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp hot red pepper sauce (I used 4 tsp of Tabasco Habanero)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (I used sea salt)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Herbed Pecan Orzo:
  • 1 cup orzo (I could not find orzo, so I used 1.5 cup of mini penne)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp salt (used sea salt)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted (I preheated the oven to 300F, spread on cookie sheet and let bake for 10 minutes, removed and chopped in food processor)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 large shallot, finely chopped (I have discovered these are about 5 times cheaper at an Asian grocery)
  • 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and finely sliced (I used some nameless brown mushrooms I found at the Asian market. The workers there were Vietnamese and could not direct me to the shittake mushrooms)
  • 3 ounces of Pilsener (I used the fabulously cheap Lion's Head Pilsner)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt (sea salt)
  • 2 tablespoons flour (used whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (used Gorgonzola, as I prefer its taste)
    Rosemary sprigs for garnish

  1. Marinate sirloin tips in a large ziploc bag with Pilsener, Worcestershire, pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. At least 20 minutes (I marinated for 48 hours)
  2. Cook pasta in according to packaging instructions. Strain and add butter and herbs, mix well, set aside, and cover to maintain heat.
  3. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Brown sirloin tips for 1-2 minutes on each side or until brown. Remove, set aside, and cover with aluminum foil. Do not throw out marinade!
  4. Melt butter in skillet used to cook steak. Add shallot and mushrooms. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beer and allow to completely absorb and evaporate. Add salt and flower and stir to coat. Add reserve marinade and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently or until the liquid is reduced by half.
  5. Cut sirloin tips into strips and return to the skillet. Cook until desired doneness (1-4 minutes).
  6. Arrange pasta on serving plate. Pour steak and sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese crumbles and garnish with fresh rosemary.
The recipe turned out excellent. This is an extremely hearty meal. I was surprised by how quickly I was full and how much I had left over. The book notes that this makes 4 to 6 servings, which is about right. The flavors all meld beautifully. My only complaint is that it came out a bit too salty. I will probably omit the salt editions next time as the beef broth and Worcestershire provide enough salt on their own.

The book recommends pairing this dish with an American dark lager or nut brown ale. I paired it with my own doppelbock "Liberator", and I have too say that the maltiness was a bit too much when coupled with the hearty mushroom sauce. I agree with the book that a nut brown ale would be a perfect complement to the toasty, nuttiness provided by the pasta while still being light enough to cut through the thick sauce.




1 comment:

annalou said...

Looks so scrumptous!